Rhinoplasty Cosmetic Surgery in Nashville & Brentwood, TN
- Are you unhappy with the shape, size or angle of your nose?
- Is your nose is too large, too small or not in proportion to the rest of your face?
- Do you have breathing problems resulting from irregularities inside your nose?
- Do you have a nasal hump or a nasal tip that is drooping, too elevated or wide?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, rhinoplasty may be right for you.
Pros and Cons of Rhinoplasty
- The shape, angle and size of your nose will be improved
- Structural problems that restrict breathing and cause congestion can be corrected
- Rhinoplasty can have a significant impact on your self-image and self-confidence
- Depending on the type of surgery, you may develop scars at the base of your nose
- You may have skin problems or breakdown of skin tissue associated with the use of grafting materials
- It will take time to adjust to your new look
Are you a good candidate for nose surgery?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider rhinoplasty with a plastic surgeon in Nashville, TN:
- Your nose is too large or too small
- Your nose does not seem to fit with the rest of your face
- Your nose is crooked, badly shaped, or out of alignment
- You have nasal blockage inside your nose and have trouble breathing
- You have a birth defect that you would like improved
- You would like improvement, not perfection, in the appearance of your nose
If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
How is a nose surgery procedure performed?
After numbing the area, your Nashville, TN plastic surgeon will make incisions to access the bones and cartilage that support the nose. There are two general techniques for making the incisions: open and endonasal.
By adding or removing bone and cartilage and adjusting the supporting structures inside the nose, the size of your nose can be reduced or increased and the nose may be shortened or lengthened.
- Tip grafts made of cartilage can be used to remodel the tip of your nose, making it more uplifted, longer, shorter, or thinner.
- Your skin and other soft tissues will remodel to assume the shape of the underlying structure.
- In some patients, tissue fillers or fat grafts can be added to increase volume in desired areas.
What are my options?
There are two main incision approaches the open approach and the internal (endonasal) approach.
In addition to incision options, there are various methods for augmenting your nose or smoothing surface deformities.
- Autologous cartilage grafts taken from your nasal septum (the wall inside the nose that divides one air passage from the other) offer the best chance for a natural result. If cartilage and bone have already been removed from the nasal septum, then ear or rib cartilage and sometimes bone from the skull are other options.
- Although solid silicone implants are available for nasal surgery, these are foreign materials that may become infected or react poorly with your nasal tissues and have to be removed. That is why natural cartilage if a supply is available, is the most trouble-free option.
- Fillers or fat grafts may also be injected to smooth the nose, to camouflage deformities or indentations, or to add volume in desired areas.
How do I prepare for a nose surgery procedure?
Your plastic surgeon in Nashville, TN will provide thorough preoperative instructions, answer any questions you may have, take a detailed medical history, and perform a physical exam to determine your fitness for cosmetic surgery.
In advance of your procedure, your Nashville, TN plastic surgeon will ask you to:
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before undergoing surgery to promote better healing
- Avoid taking aspirin, certain anti-inflammatory drugs, and some herbal medications that can cause increased bleeding
- Regardless of the type of surgery to be performed, hydration is very important before and after surgery for safe recovery
Rhinoplasty is usually performed on an outpatient basis. Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and to stay with you at least the first night following surgery. If your surgery involves septal work or is a revision of prior work, it may require an overnight stay.
For more information on Rhinoplasty, visit our surgical page or contact us in Nashville, TN today!